| || || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || || |
| || |
Transfer Airport Trieste Portoroz, Transfer Airport Ljubljana Portoroz, Transfer Airport Venice Portoroz, Transfer
Triesten Portoroz Piran, Transfer Ljubljana Portoroz Piran, Transfer Venice Venezia Portoroz Piran
Taxi Portoroz photo Gallery
Sea, wind, salt, Mediterranean odours, palms, roses and evergreen plants, relaxation, entertainment and companionship are the words, with which we can easily introduce Portorož, a sea resort in the heart of Europe. The intermingling of various cultures and music expressions, nature, culinary delights and turbulent historical events, create an atmosphere, in which the every day life stress and tensions disappear in a relaxed state of mind.
The relaxing stroll on the shoreline, recuperating run on the beach, swimming in the sea and pools, beauty and health programmes in spas or sports and recreational activities, fill us with new energy.
Since the 13th century, Portorož has been known as a health resort. Here the monks of the St. Laurence treated the patients with seawater and salt water. The curative effects of these in cases of rheumatism, dropsy, scrofula, obesity and festering wounds were widely known.
Untill the fall of the Venetian Republic at the end of the 18th century the area of Portorož was under the Venetian rule, followed by Napoleon and Hapsburg rule which ended with the First World War. At the end of the 19th century, a shareholders' company was established, consisting of wealthy citizens and intellectuals of the Piran community, in order to build a spa and health resort. They were well aware of the numerous possibilities for the development of spa tourism in the pleasant climate of Portorož.
In 1879, a Piran doctor, Giovanni Lugnano started to treat rheumatic problems with fango (sea mud), seawater baths and drinking of salt water. The reputation of the healing properties of the salt soon spread from the surrounding towns to more distant areas of Austria-Hungary, to which Istria belonged after the fall of the Venetian Republic from the year 1813 onwards.
The arrival of numerous guests after 1885 called for the construction of new villas and boarding houses. In 1890 the intellectuals, bakners and financiers of Piran decided to set up a shareholdres' company to build a spa and bathing resort in Portorož. This was followed by the establishing of a spa company in Piran 'Stabilimento balneare di Pirano'. They bought an area suitable for building from Piran Saltpans and decided to build a new hotel with 80 rooms, 120 beds, a restaurant and a cafè, as well as a spa building with 30 bedrooms and its own baths, the predecessor of the famous Palace Hotel.
The Old Palace Hotel – 20th August 1910
20th August 1910 saw the opening of one of the most beautiful hotels on the Adriatic coast – the Palace Hotel. This luxurious building had 175 rooms, a magnificent dining room also used as a multi-purpose hall, a spacious open terrace, a lavish reception room with a large painting by Glauca Cambone as well as rooms for reading and games. The hotel had facilities for mud baths and seawater pool. The entire spa complex was equipped with the most modern therapeutic devices. In front of the hotel there was a new sandy beach with 200 cabins standing in semi-circle. The architectural concept was designed by the renowned architect from Trieste, Lodovico Braidotti.
The year 2008 witnessed the revival of the Palace Hotel. It has been restored and improved, combining the famous old-fashioned exterior and contemporary facilities. Its new name is 'Five-Star Palace Hotel de Luxe'.
In 1913, Portorož was visited by 7000 guests, which intensified its international character and fame. The 1st and the 2nd World War slowed down the development of the town. Its revival came in 1954 when the spa in the old Palace Hotel was renovated. In 1975 the Palace Spa acquired the status of a natural health resort. The new spa Talasotherapy Portorož was built ten years later, comprising four hotels which have improved and revived their services in the last couple of years.
Today, Portorož is a modern tourist resort with numerous hotels, its own marina, airport, casino, congress and wellness centres, excellent culinary offer and many different possibilities for active enjoyment of free time. Every year, numerous events take place in Portorož, attracting Slovenian and foreign guests.
The old seaport of Piran lies at the end of the Piran peninsula, which gradually narrows between the bays of Strunjan and Piran. The peninsula reaches Cape Madona, ending with the Šavrini hills.
The meaning of the name Piran: elder scientists support the supposition that the origin could derive from the Celtic word bior-dun, supposed to mean a settlement on the hill, while younger generation advocates the explanation of the Greek word pyr – fire, as the original settlement was primarily used as a lighthouse for vessels sailing to nearby Greek colony Aegida on the site of today town Koper. The town has preserved the medieval layout with narrow streets and compact houses, which rise in steps from the coastal lowland into the hills and give the whole area a typical Mediterranean look.
Today the town is an administrative and trade centre, and together with Portorož, is also an important tourist location with many cultural institutions, vacation homes, hotels, restaurants and various events. It is also certain that the town itself with its interesting layout and cultural heritage attracts many visitors.
The first reliable information comes from Anonymus of Ravenna, who in the 7th Century in his work Cosmographia mentioned the name Piranon (Piran) among the names of Roman towns on the Istrian coast. Although the origin of the name is still veiled in mystery, there is no doubt whatsoever that already in the pre-Roman era those hills were inhabited by the Illyrian Histri tribes, who were farmers, hunters, fishermen and pirates, and disrupted the Roman trade in the north Adriatic Sea.
Clonisation and romanisation of theIstrian peninsula
With the Roman conquest of the Istrian peninsula in the years 178 and 177 B.C., gradual colonisation and romanisation of the peninsula began. This is how the Roman “ville rusticae” were built in the hinterland of Piran, but probably there was still no major inhabitation of this area at that time. It began only after the downfall of the Roman empire in the 5th Century, when because of the incursions and migrations of the barbaric tribes, the Roman population retreated to fortified coastal towns or islands.
In the 7th Century, under the Byzantine rule Piran became a heavily fortified “Castrum”, and that started the urban development. Already at the end of the 6th Century a wave of savage assaults by the Obers and Slavs hit the area; those events were followed by a gradual Slav colonisation, which gained in impetus after the Franks conquered Istria in the year 788. The Franks included Istria in the Mark of Furlany administrative unit and supported the Slavs in their struggle for political and economic independence from the Roman town populace. After the division of the Frankish empire, the County of Istria was included into the Italic kingdom in the year 843, in the year 952 became a part of Holy Roman Empire of German Nation, in particular to the Dukedom of Bavaria, in the year 976 to the Dukedom of Carinthia and at last to the Aquilean Patriarchy.
Due to the gradual acquisition of new land and the possibilities for developing free sea trade, the town lying on the Istrian coast, including Piran, tried to gain more independence from their feudal lords and found an ally in the Venetian Republic, which from the 10th Century onwards was rapidly becoming a major trading and sea power in the Adriatic. The Venetian advance on the eastern Istrian coasts, became decisive for the development of the Istrian towns, as Venice was searching for new markets and outposts for its drive to the central and southern Adriatic. Progressively the Venetian Republic subdued the coastal towns, but nevertheless they first made friendship and trade agreements. Piran was also taken under the Venetian “protection”, and in exchange the town was obliged to sign a trade contract in the year 933. Very soon the Piran townsfolk realised that the arrangement with Venice limited their freedom and independence; because of that Piran searched for a way out, and found it in an alliance with other small towns, especially Koper, as well as in the strengthening of its own autonomy.
The economic boom, which was brought to the Istrian towns by the sea and hinterland trade, made it possible for some of the towns to gain autonomy and become free municipalities with an elected governing body already at the end of the 12th Century: Piran in the year 1192. These towns chose their own officials – podestas – and made their own trade deals with other towns.
But already in the second half of the 13th Century the Venetian Republic commenced with the conquest of the Istrian towns and thus occupied Koper in the year 1279, a year later Izola, and in the year 1283 Piran.
From the 15th until 17th Century, Piran was shaken by the social strife between the aristocracy and the plebs, who rebelled and expressed their dissatisfaction with the fact that public funds were controlled exclusively by the aristocracy, ownership issues over the salt pans and the arable land in hinterland, as well as the political rights they wanted to obtain.
Eventually Protestantism spread in Istria, and appeared in Piran in the thirties of the 16th Century.
17th and 18th Century
In the 17th and 18th Century the Piran society still lived in the cultural atmosphere of Humanism and Renaissance, joined in the 17th Century by doctor Prospero Petronio.
A decade later (1692) Giuseppe Tartini was born, a violinist, composer and music pedagogue, who wrote over 300 compositions, many of which belong to the finest musical creations of the 18th Century.
Austrian occupation in the years 1797 until 1805, and a shorter period of French rule under the guise of the Italian Kingdom (1805 - 1809) and Napoleonic Illyrian Provinces (1809 - 1813), introduced a few minor urban interventions in the town and its surroundings, as well as administrative, social and political changes.
Imperial Austria brought prosperity back to Piran in the 19th Century. It was chiefly aide by the salt pans, as Austria renewed and enhanced the production by substantially enlarging the salt pans in Sečovlje, which yielded approximately 40,000 tons of salt per year.
Development of tourismThe narrow gauge railroad , which led from Triest to Poreč, greatly boosted the transport of people and merchandise. At the enfd of the 19th Century the development of tourism began together with the improved traffic connections. In Portorož especially health resort tourism began to develop, and brought it fame and reputation as the most pleasant and beautiful tourist centre in the east Adriatic, mainly due to its climate.
After World War I, this area was assigned to Italy by the Rapallo peace agreement. The anti fascist movement grew among the Slovene inland population, as well as the Italian townspeople, to culminate in the War of National Liberation in the years 1941 – 1945.
Tartini Square became the central square of Piran at the end of the 13th Century, but acquired its present appearance only in the second half of the 19th Century. By filling the inner harbour, a spacious square area was obtained, around which all the important municipal buildings were constructed (Town Hall and Court Palace), as well as burgher houses of which only the gothic Venetian House is preserved in the original. The square was named after the well-known Piran local violonist and composer Guiseppe Tartini (1692 - 1770), who made the name of his birthplace known throughout Europe. The town, a collection of sculptures, portals and other artefacts, of secular and church art, holds a peculiarity: a collection of modern sculptures under the open sky on the Seča peninsula, just in front of Portorož. The international Sculptor Symposium Forma Viva was founded in the year 1961 upon a solicitation of the Slovene artists Jakob Savinšek and Janez Lenassi. The Coastal Galleries still traditionally organise it until the present time.
| || |